Rat Investigations & Pest Control Services in North Essex
Rats are a synurbic species, meaning they can thrive in towns, cities and rural locations. Anywhere we are, they are, and the growing population of rats is largely thanks to the modern lives we lead. It was humans who first brought rats over to the United Kingdom and with plenty of cosy spots in homes, garages, sewers and derelict buildings. Generally speaking, rats prefer to live outdoors, but when they get indoors, they cause a lot of destruction, contaminate food and spread diseases. Thus, we provide our rat removal Colchester and North Essex services. We have been serving the areas for many years finding these agile and territorial creatures behind kitchen cupboards, in basements, under floors and in lofts.
As one of the world’s fastest growing, invasive species, there are over 6 billion rats worldwide. But the two most common types in the UK are:
Brown Rat (also known as Common, Norway, Sewage or Rattus Norvegicus)
With a blunt snout, small hair-covered ears and a tail that is shorter than the length of its body, Brown Rats are intelligent and highly adaptable. They are known to swim, dive and climb tall structures, whilst also being able to dig deep burrows that can be used for generations.
Black Rat (Rattus rattus)
Smaller than Brown Rats, Black Rats can vary in colour, from black to light brown in colour with a lighter underside. They are serious pests to farmers as they eat a wide range of agricultural crops, but they can also inflict a great amount of structural damage.
At North Essex, we can help you avoid costly damage to your home and prevent spreading of diseases by providing effective rat removal Colchester services.
What damage can rats do to your home or workplace?
A rat infestation can be incredibly dangerous as rats can spread over 35 diseases, including the likes of foot and mouth, salmonella, Weil’s disease, tuberculosis, cryptosporidiosis and e.coli. You may see signs of rat infestation even if you don’t see the animals directly, with common signs including burrows in your yard, gnaw marks, nests and urine odour, whilst you may even hear them scurrying about.
If you suspect that you have a rat problem, it’s important to take action before the issue escalates, and North Essex Pest Control rat removal Colchester services can give you the professional help you need to remove them, whilst setting up expert measures to keep them away. We cover the whole of North Essex, including Tiptree, Lexden, Mersea, Marks Tey, Rowhedge, Fingringhoe, Peldon, Langinghoe, Fordham and Copford – so if you’d like to learn more about our rat removal Colchester services, please call 01206 700 644 or 07487 351 351.
Fun facts about rats:
- Certain types of rats can swim over a mile, whilst some can hold their breath for several minutes.
- Their teeth never stop growing, with some species known to have teeth that grow up to five inches every year.
- Rats have impeccable memories, so as soon as they learn a navigation route they won’t forget it.
- Just like humans, rats will at times succumb to peer-pressure, disregarding their personal experiences to copy their peers.
- Astonishingly, the Kangaroo Rat never has to drink water and it doesn’t pant or sweat, whilst it gets its intake of water from the seeds it consumes.
- Their tales are instrumental in helping them balance, whilst also regulating their body temperature.